Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Trailing Thoughts

I am attempting to become a runner.  I'm not quite sure how that is going yet as I am very slow.  I'm about the speed of a turtle sprinting through molasses on a winter's day, but I am enjoying the outdoors, the trail I run on, and all the inspiration it brings.  
I try to do about 3 miles everyday between Monday and Friday.  It gives me time to think about my day, go over things on my mind, and most importantly, it gives my mind that time to wander.  More often than not, it's been roaming into my creative mind; my writing mind.

It started out as a way to get healthy, become more active, and give my body more energy to keep up with my one and three year old girls.  Thankfully, I have achieved two out of three. 

What I did not expect was the sudden creative flow that seemed to come out inside me.  Perhaps it's the scenery.  I won't lie, the scenery is gorgeous and definitely inspirational.  I am so lucky to have such a great trail run so close to home. The wildlife is quite spectacular too! And even quite friendly!


In the last two days, I've seen a total of 9 deer.  I've seen several butterflies, and I guess I must smell pretty sweet to a butterfly when I'm sweaty because they've definitely taken a liking to me at times, landing on me over and over again as if I'm some sort of flower.  Perhaps these butterflies have olfactory issues, methinks.  I've also seen hawks, gorgeous large birds of prey, the size of barn owls!

I always pegged myself to be a nature-lover from afar, but now I think I'm changing my stripes, or beginning to.  What better inspiration is there in life?

As I run my mind wanders, and suddenly I see the stories laying themselves out on that trail run, running along beside me, singing their tales to me through the cicadas and the birds.  It is magical.

This then gets my mind on the comment left by Melanie in the last entry.  I wish a mind-transcriber existed. I need one of those. Most definitely, I require them on my runs.  It would save a lot of time if I didn't have to write things down.  Even more, by the time I'm back at the car after a three-mile run, I'm afraid I just cannot remember every thought I've had.  Why do the brilliant thoughts seem to leap out of your mind the quickest?

So here's a task for someone: invent a portable mind-transcriber.  Do that and I will help you make millions! I won't even ask for a penny myself, so long as you give me one for free. 

Alas, it is that time to say farewell to the night and slip beneath the blankets to dream of velvety things.

Adieu, for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment