Saturday, September 14, 2019

Word Vomit - Of Sorts

See below for my latest work. It is all poetry as that is our current focus in my writing course. It is available for a limited time only. The previous post highlights how I write and prepare to write for the day. Enjoy!

Currently Unnamed

Pop! Goes the winter storm
Frosting the town below
That sits astride an icing lake
A crafted bridge’s milieu.

Sprinkles of green conifers
white marzipan lights, garnishing
homes that brilliantly illumine
those subtle sugar windows.

Frozen dew - gelatin encasing delicate trees
The drifts of tasty snow
Piped rooftops in nature’s buttercream
Excite my innocent hunger.

At last the artist’s final touch -
And moving from a powdered sugar sky
Morning reveals soft limelight
Silent awe, to the delicious delight of the town.


Alone Should Not Be Me

Somehow I watched the wanderer
Wishing he were me
The aimless direction of his path
Seemed alluring to see

If I lost my way upon the sea
I’d have a direction to seek
Though lost I’d not wander aimlessly
As I have someplace to be

His feet shuffled freely
Eyes dwelling long upon things
Seeming content in his fruitless pace
I wished it to be me

To take a road less travelled by
Would be quite heavenly
I’d take my pack upon my back
And let my feet go free.

I’d say goodbye get on a plane
A bus, a train, or just run
I’d walk upon every place on earth
But did I wish this thing for me?

Then I thought of losing love
Of having to be on my own
It seemed to me in order to be free
I’d have to be alone.

A path has direction
Matter not the aimless walk
And suddenly I understood
Alone should not be me.

The heavy footsteps of the man
Felt sad instead of free
It must not be to wander so aimless
All alone and lost – should not be.

The road less traveled can be free
But one must never walk alone
Take a friend or family, even abroad
One must need a home.


Opposites

Sometimes you take the hit
to achieve the victory
You feel death
To know what it is to live
And you fall
To understand why you rise
An angry spurn
Can blossom from it, redemption
Losing your way
Discovers the path
But in the end, my dear, you shall see
It has been meant to be your beginning.


This last one was my actual writing assignment.  The others were my warm ups and word vomit of sorts in preparation of this particular poem. The instructions were thus: Write a poem featuring at least 15 words that are pleasing to you. Your goal will be to celebrate the beauty and pleasure of these words (there is reference to a poem we read in our previous reading assignments, but I did not use it while I wrote as I had a fairly good idea of what I wanted to achieve). The length of this poem should be at least 15 lines, but not exceed 30:

My own little dribble

I imagine one would ask
To see inside my head. Here are various words
One might venture are written
amidst the walls in my universe:
Tangible cerulean gossamer illumines
the swift autumnal breeze
Arithmetic, enigmatic, on a languid palomino
What a texture, or a shape, the shadow it creates
Slake the emblem! Elaborate!
Now delicate partake:
Pneumococcal hemophilia
Of a misanthrope may be best.
Pianissimo pizzicato
Now allegretto crescendo
And on to, who do I know?
Artemis and her hunting bow,
Aristotle, Sophocles:
Antigone, his creation. Erasmus
Snow, Socrates, Monet and Degas,
For show.
An ebb and flounder, in colloquial lilt ‘tis not,
Now a mighty decrescendo
Into lunar-soft reflection of the lush ether

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is very good. I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for sharing again.

    ReplyDelete