Monday, June 28, 2010

The Reading Part of Writing

Much of what makes a great writer, comes from being a great reader.  Taken from what Stephen King said in the you tube video I posted in Wise Words From A Legend, I decided to dedicate this entry to the importance of reading.

This is what reading means to me, as a writer:

One thing that many people don't know about me, is that I collect bookmarks.  I do this for two reasons: 1. I tend to lose bookmarks a lot, and 2. a bookmark helps in feeding my desire to read more books.  I love the quotes or the silly pictures on them.  I love the free ones you get from your local library, and I love the ones you spend ten dollars for, with the brass finish and Japanese symbol on the bottom.  Like my bookmark fuels my thirst for more books, reading fuels my desire to write.

I was lucky in that I had a home that promoted the importance of reading at a very young age.  In fact, I used to read books before I could read.  You can give the credit to my bookworm side of the family: my mother and my oldest sister. 

I recall being extremely small and wondering why they would remain silent and still for long periods of time, staring at these things called books.  I even recall asking what they were and what were inside of them.  I mean, why would someone stare at an unmoving rectangular object so intensely?  I can't remember exactly what it was they said about them, but I do know that after they answered, I wanted nothing more than to learn to read.

I think I was around 2 or 3 years old at the time (yes, I can recall that far back).  Anyhow, because I was only a toddler and the task of learning to read does take a little time, I would sit down with picture books and make up my own stories, according to the pictures.  I would try to create new stories every time and sometimes even move the pictures into a different order, to fit my own story. 

My oldest sister, swore I could read at the time, because if there were words, I followed them with my finger while staring intently at them, wishing I could read.  I would then use the pictures to create my own story according to the words I thought were on the page.  It was actually an interesting scenario because when my mother did have time to read to me (I was the youngest of 8 children, so this is why I got creative with reading), I was severely let down in what the words actually meant.  I felt some of my stories were much better.  This also may be the reason that some children's books do not at all reflect the stories I remember them being, which amuses me greatly. 

Ever since then, I have been an avid bookworm.  Of course, life has gotten in the way and for awhile I won't pick up too many books for a period of time, but when I write, I find myself longing to read, so the importance of it isn't too difficult for me to hold on to.  

The wonderful thing about reading is that every aspect attributes itself to writing.  The most fundamental part of writing is reading.  This is someones flow of thought, poured out onto a page that they filled, from their own line of thought.  These ideas of theirs came from reading others' thoughts and then adding to theirs, with their own. 

A direct example of fundamentals is that once I finish the first draft of my novel, I will need to read it in order to feel the flow of my own piece, picking out and editing that which does not fit the flow, whether it be spelling, punctuation, or simply something that does not work within the piece. 

Writers must read.  This teaches us our craft.  This tells us how our writing fits in with other published works; both classic and contemporary.  This is the best gauge to tell where we are, as writers

Reading inspires; it creates.  We all have our favorite authors and works, and some of us aspire to be like them, with our own style.  Reading promotes our individual styles as well.  We take in all of the knowledge we accrue in life and use it to write.  Much of this knowledge and experience can come from reading.  While we may be reading the same book, our emotions and thoughts from the experiences within the book, give us our individuality.  This individuality is what inspires our style.

Writing can be taught technically, but the creativity of it is something that only reading and writing can give us.  This is the end all, be all of the truth behind reading to write.  Some things cannot be taught, and the secret is something you must seek out for yourself.  We've been given the door, but only we can decide what we will find on the other side of it.

Books I am currently reading, or will be reading in the next 2 weeks:
Fablehaven: Keys to the Demon Prison (book 5) by Brandon Mull
The Space Between Trees by Katie Williams
Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury
Solitude by Robert Kull

Please comment on what reading is to you, as a writer, or even as an individual.  The best part is, reading has a different relationship with everyone and each one is unique and important in its own way, because it is your own.





5 comments:

  1. Oh, I so agree with you. Reading a lot makes you a better writer. I have been working on a new novel and I can tell that my writing has benefited from all of the classic literature I have been reading lately. :)

    I also collect bookmarks, much to Matt's dismay. He doesn't get why I need so many, but I love them so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet. And I still am in awe that you could stick to a list of books to read. I'm trying that this year, but I keep finding new ones that weren't on my list, so I read those instead.

    But on writing terms, I really do feel that I write better as well when I am actively reading something at the time. The flow is easier and the writer's block doesn't set in as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting blog and it brings back memories for me and I can attest that reading definitely brings out our individuality and fills a void in our life. My Mom, sister and I would scramble over each other to dig into a bag of books someone brought to us. There were times when we would read the books over and over until another bag would show up. Mom some how dug up the money to buy us the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series. You could hear a pin drop when we got the new books in the mail and all six of us were reading. My Dad retired and read every book in our small home town's library. The librarian would order shelves of books from nearby cities just to keep Ora in books. He had a voracious appetite for reading and I remember getting up in the wee hours of the night and seeing his light on and Scrouge (the cat) sleeping on his feet to keep warm and also keep Dad warm. Living in the country on an 80 acre farm, there was plenty of work to be done in daylight. We did have an old TV that received 2 snowy channels that flipped and rolled every few seconds so reading was our entertainment. I can't wait to read your novel!
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been a movie watcher since I was old enough to crawl. My wife introduced me to book reading about 4 years back and I love it. Books take more of a effort to finish then a movie, but like all things, it's worth more if you have to earn it. Another thing I would like to mention to all couples out there, I find that reading out load with my wife makes it a group effort, and much more engaging than doing it solo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot think of a better past time than reading. Every memory I have of reading has been positive, fun, hilarious, and wonderful. Even the sad books or the scary ones left me enraptured with the desire to read more books. And through that ideal, I know exactly that this is the same past time that I want to share with the world.

    ReplyDelete