Thursday, February 22, 2018

Silver

One of my other favorite poets besides e.e. cummings is one that often overlooked because he was known to write poetry for children.  But what I've found is that this man understands more about the human condition than most of his more "notable and mature" colleagues.  I grew up on his poetry and books.  His wit, humor, and composition are all some of the best moments of my young reads.  I still find myself reciting a poem of his when the occasion calls for it, which is much more often than I've ever truly realized.

While I still have yet to purchase all of his collection, which is an intention of mine, most assuredly, I also am in love with the fact that one of my daughter's first choice books to read to me is my favorite of his, called The Giving Tree.

And now that I am older, I understand it that much more.  By the time I am very old, I'm sure I will understand it utterly.

And so I share my rendition of A Light in the Attic.  An homage to this brilliant author who will always top my list.

A Light In the Attic

There's a light in the attic
But no one seems to be home.
There's a light in the attic
but who says it's even turned on?
I'm sure it's not lit
Because I checked on it myself
Just a moment ago, so I'd know.
There's a light in the attic
And no one's home.
So no one come over
'Cuz I just want to be alone.


His much better rendition can be found below:

A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC 

There's a light on in the attic. 

Though the house is dark and shuttered, 

I can see a flickerin' flutter, 

And I know what it's about. 

There's a light on in the attic. 

I can see it from the outside, 

And I know you're on the inside . . . lookin' out. 
-Shel Silverstein

1 comment: