Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wise Words From A Legend

It is so important to remember the most fundamental principle of writing: reading.  You have to read, if you want to be a writer.  You simply have to.

You can argue that the bottom line is that you must know your craft, and to know your craft, you must read.  Just as a filmmaker must watch films, so also must a writer read.  Of course, you must hone your own ideas, your own flare with the pen, but if you don't read books, how can you expect other people to read yours?    How can you expect to learn anything new?

I don't think I can stress this point enough, and I think it is best to hear it straight from one of the most prominent authors of our day: Mr. Stephen King.  If you can't believe him, well, I don't think there is any convincing you.

(You can find the video below on youtube.com.  It was posted by klynn28, who is not me, and I thank her profoundly for sharing it with the world.)




"I think you outta read a lot, and I think you outta write a lot." -Stephen King

Reading is a fundamental key to writing.  I don't think that anyone could have said this better.  Mr. King, you rock!  Write on, sir, write on!

1 comment: