Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Know New Now

When working yourself up to starting the new edit, you can look into the mirror and try the positive affirmation talk. You can do 30 push ups and sit ups and chest thumb yourself or chest bump your friends.  You can eat a pint of ice cream and wallow in the upcoming challenge for a moment. Or you can just continue on like Professor Binns, the Hogwarts Magical History professor.  After he died, he just kept right on going; never cease to chance a thought as to what you are attempting to accomplish.  Whichever and however you are, just don't stop.  It's a trap to stop.

Getting trapped can set you back weeks, days, hours, months.  Does it really matter how long?  Keep it in your heart and your mind.  If you have to take a physical breather, do so if you must.  But don't stop writing in your head.  

Within my mind is where I flesh a lot of my story out.  I know it's not the most efficient, but I've decided that if it's not important enough to remember (or write down the moment I think of it), well, then it is not meant to be and so must be left by the wayside for the scavengers to pillage.  

I only know that you keep going. You keep writing, you keep editing, you continue onward.  It will always be an uphill battle.  All the best things are.  And such battles are uphill all the way to the end, even past the final word.

That is what I tell myself because that is what I believe. I love my writing and I love the opportunity to write, but it is true, what Ernest Hemingway said, 'All you do is sit down at the typewriter and bleed.'

Bleed, I must, or I am not giving enough of myself to my work.

And so I bleed.  And so I bleed.

No comments:

Post a Comment