Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Making the Time

My goal for reading at least a little bit everyday is most definitely being achieved.  However, when it comes to writing, I'm finding at times that access to my computer is severely limited.  Because my computer is in a separate room from the rest of the house (originally planned for quiet writing time), I'm never in there unless I'm looking for paperwork.  So I guess I have two options: write in a regular notebook or journal again or move my computer somewhere more open and make the conscious effort to write even if my little ones are running around behind me.

Fortunately for me, we're turning what is now the office into a guest room so this computer will be moved out of this room in a very short period of time anyhow.  Unfortunately for me, this means that my television will now be my monitor and this computer will be the family computer.  So this means if someone wants to watch a movie or a show, I can't write.  At least, I can't write on my computer.

It's beneficial that I really love to write in notebooks and journals.  But it's not as beneficial when it takes longer to write out a thought which sometimes leads me to forget "strokes of genius" wordplay, or rather, my thoughts in general.  Has that ever happened to you?  For myself, I tend to find these wonderful words coming into my head and many times my brain goes faster than my hand and I just can't seem to keep up which always seems to frustrate me when I can't remember a thought that occurred just seconds ago.  And most times it is because my brain has already moved on to the next thought.

I'm at a crossroads of sorts, it seems.  There are pros and cons to both situations, and my choice of options is more than likely going to have to be both.  I'm going to write on the computer when I can and get as much in as I can, but having that notebook around is going to help when I can't be on or near a computer.  Honestly, I've realized that as a writer, it's foolish of me to not have a notebook handy for those times when I get an idea or a stream of story and I don't record it.  If I could count the stories and ideas that are lost into the oblivion of my subconscious, I know I would be appalled. 

I guess I've found a new sub-goal: to carry around a journal and writing utensil (which for a writer should always be a permanent ink of some sort) when out and about and have one close at hand at home.  The trick is going to be keeping my almost two year old from becoming overly interested in it.  That is going to be a fun challenge.

As for my reading, I'm currently reading book 2 of The Brotherband Chronicles: The Invaders.  John Flanagan is a writer I discovered probably about 2 years ago, which is a shame I took so long to discover him.  I was always intrigued by his first series called The Ranger's Apprentice, and finally, while in Borders one day, I picked up the first book and read the first few chapters.  That was all it took.  I was hooked.  I now own the entire RA series and all three of the current published books of his new series: The Brotherband Chronicles.

I believe I may have mentioned in an early blog entry that I am attracted to young adult, teen, and children's books.  I've tried reading adult fiction and though some of the books are indeed wonderful, I find more misses than hits in the adult section and the exact opposite in fiction meant for a younger audience.  It helps that this is what I tend to write as well.  And one of the best ways to hone your writing is to read in the venue of what you write and learn from those who have walked the publishing roads before you.

Come to think of it, I think I've given you a list of favorite authors of mine, but not favorite books or poems.  So perhaps that will be a future entry.  In fact, let me know if you have any requests or questions about me or even things you might want to see in this blog.  I always encourage outside thoughts and opinions, especially on blog entries.  It's definitely the most challenging part of blogging: coming up with things to address or discuss and keep it interesting at the same time.

Let's reiterate my goals for the month: read a little everyday, write a little everyday, and in the meantime, get in the habit of keeping a journal at hand for those times when I just can't get to my computer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment