Monday, June 21, 2010

Finding What They Call Time

Life sometimes comes at you fast; as it has me, this past weekend.  There has been a lot to think about, but, unfortunately, not much of it has to do with writing.  So how do we shake off everything going through our days, through our minds, and get back into that focus? 

I don't think it's easy, and I sometimes wonder if it ever will.  Sometimes, though, you just have to keep pushing.  Even through all this crazy life stuff, I've had my story in the back of my mind, glazing across my eye monitors every so often, reminding me of what I am taking on.  Don't brush it off.  Keep it floating around in there.  If you push it out of the way totally, it becomes another back burner project that gets forgotten.

I'm sure everyone has their circumstances; such is life.  I nearly died a couple of months ago, so I think that would be legitimate enough to put a few things off.  Now, I am back, I am better, and I am realizing that life moves on and there are some things worth doing in life, before it is too late.  For me, that's writing.  That's why I'm here, and that is why I am blogging about it.  If I let unimportant things rule my life, I won't ever get anything done that is important to me.

There is a moment, when life tells you to make a choice (actually there are probably several, but only one that people recall) about what it is that makes you happy, and do you accept it as a possibility to seek?  I made my choice, and I'm working along that path. 

At the moment, time is easier to come by for me.  That may be different in a few months, but for now, I try to get the things done that need attention, and always set aside that time.  Whether you call it "me" time, or "writing" time or whatever, that is up to you.  But don't sell out the ice cream truck possibilities for a popsicle here and now.

Ray Bradbury, an author I absolutely love, wrote a lot of interesting things about writing, in general.  I won't quote him directly, but he instructs to write something down every day.  Get the habit going.  If you write everyday, it's easier to reach into that creative place and pull out what you are seeking.  It doesn't need to be three chapters or a thousand words exactly, it just needs to be, first and foremost.

No comments:

Post a Comment