Wednesday, June 23, 2010

One of Character

Writing characters is the most exciting part of writing for me.  Here is a persona, slipping straight out of my brain and onto a page, in a story that only I can tell my readers.  So how do I work with my characters?  How do I get them to walk, talk, breathe, and think like they are actual beings?  This thought process, is sometimes daunting and frightening to me.  What if everyone realizes that this character doesn't exist?  What if it is quite obvious that they do not?

Character is defined by the aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature of some person or thing, according to www.dictionary.com.  Features and traits don't sound very frightening.  It's a list, mainly.  But how do you roll them into each other and get a true, realistic, character? A character who fits the role and makes sense to your readers?  I have my methods.

Now for the quick disclaimer:  These are methods that I use when I really need assistance on one or many aspects of a story.  Sometimes, I use them fully, other times I don't need to as much, but always, it is a good idea use my methods, whatever they may be, as a reference guide to make sure I am aware of what I, the writer, need to know.

When Mrs. J.K. Rowling was writing the Harry Potter series, she wrote many many things down that never made it to the book (which I'm sure every fan is clamoring for in her encyclopedia that she has noted to eventually publish for all of us HP nerds).  This was for her knowledge alone and though it related to the world she created, it didn't necessarily apply to the story.  For instance, she wrote down a list of the students in Hogwarts.  She wrote down their year, their house, their level of magical aptitude, and so on.  Was it necessary to the story?  No.  But was it helpful to her, so that she could write the story effectively?  Yes.

If you feel it necessary to have this level of knowledge for your book, don't be afraid to write down information that may not see anyone's eyes but your own.  In fact (and I may be biased), I think it is important to have this knowledge.

You, the writer, are God, when it comes to your novel, and you should know some things that aren't pertinent to the story, especially if you are writing science fiction or fantasy.  At the very least, experiment with it and have some fun.  You might surprise yourself with how effective it can be.

What does this have to do with character, you ask? Well, here you go.  I have some friends who play Dungeons & Dragons on a regular basis.  I used to do so myself, for a brief period of time.  If you haven't played, let me explain.  Each person creates a character to run around and battle in a fantasy world of your group's creation (I'm keeping it simple you D&D players, play along).  These people have an age, ethnicity, height, weight, physical characteristics, a past, a present, and other features and traits that make them more organic and tangible.  

Sometimes, like in writing, it's difficult to come up with the type of character you want to play, or more likely, you have your idea of a character, but no semblance of personality.  So, one of my friends turned to the internet and discovered the "Mother of All Character Questionnaires" (you can find it at http://www.roleplayingtips.com/articles/character_questionnaire.php). 


By the time I finished compiling the thing into a printable worksheet for our group, it was around 17 pages long, which is a bit overkill, if you ask me.  The point, though, is to make you aware of how dynamic we really are, as people.  Go over it, using yourself as a character.  Do you know all of the answers to these questions?  How about if you use a best friend or loved one?  The chances are that you know most, if not all the answers.  The same should be said about your characters; your main characters, especially.  No, you don't need to fill out one for every character (your main and main supporting characters should suffice).  Just go over it and find the significance in knowing these answers, or the significance in not knowing, should that be the case.


This exercise works for me in that my characters won't be flat and superficial.  While most of the information in my character questionnaire may not make it onto the page, my writing will reflect that I know this character through and through.  My character will be a Harry Potter as opposed to a two dimensional stick figure.  My descriptions of them will be more accurate and robust and I will know what drives them forward through the book and how it affects and changes them in the ways that they need to.  Believe it or not, it can help stave off writer's block if you know where your character would go from where you're at.


If the "Mother of All Character Questionnaires" scares you a bit, make it simple on yourself.  Pretend your character is filling out a facebook bio or info page and add a few extras in, for example:


  • Favorite childhood memory
  • Worst memory
  • Most humiliating memory
  • Pet Peeves
  • Favorite Holiday/ Day of the Year and why


...and other such "getting to know you" questions.  Add more questions to your list as you experiment.  Just get to know your character.  Sit down and have a chat, a lunch, a formal interview.   Don't be afraid to get to know your character a little too well, knowing the bad with the good.  It makes it easier to write, in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment