Monday, July 5, 2010

The Path of Description

Writing itself does not consist of much: a paper and a pen or computer and keyboard and there you have it.  You sit down and get to work.  On what?  What do you write exactly?  Rather, what can you write to bring those creative juices forward and allow them to explode out of that pen or keyboard? 

I talked about doing writing warm-ups in my Chapter 1 entry, but I only touched on it briefly.  I recall asking about your writing warm-ups and what you do to develop ideas and energize your creativity.  However, I didn't receive many comments on the subject.  I apologize for the simple fact that I forgot the one simplistic thing that most writers agonize over the most besides writer's block: their writing exercises and what to do to get them started. 

I laugh at myself now because that's one of my excuses for not writing, or for having problems generating ideas.  That's why I take so many writing classes.  Different perspectives and ideas for exercises generate new stories and possibilities.  If not, it simply gets your palette in tune with your writing and what needs to be written that day.  Even one of my professors, that wonderful Katharine Haake at California State University- Northridge, commented one day in class that she wished she had someone to give her writing exercises and tell her what to write.

Therefore, I have decided that every Monday, I will provide us all with a writing exercise, to get us all going.  I even stayed up late last night, trying to assure that I would have enough exercises to last us a while.  These are begged and borrowed from, most of them will not be mine at all, and I will note on where they came from and where you can find more of the exercises from the author. 

Now for the first writing exercise.  Are you ready?  It is simple and not too robust, just the thing to get us started.  I want you to write down a handful of inanimate objects near you (around five items) and I want you to spend a few minutes on each, describing them.  For instance, five objects near me that I will write about: a Star Theater 2, a desk lamp, a Sony Digital camera, a can of Diet Pepsi, and a candle. 

The next part of the exercise comes from a book I found at the library, called A Writer's Workbook, written by Caroline Sharp.  It is filled with all sorts of interesting writing exercises and is great for anyone looking to write in just about any venue, including for the theater and screen.   Anyhow, moving on: 

Next, describe the objects or things listed below, without being able to see, touch, or be anywhere near them.  Do not prepare; simply take a few minutes on each and write a short paragraph describing each object or thing.  

This is simply to work on your power of description- a very helpful asset to any writer. -Caroline Sharp

Describe:
  1. a circle
  2. a spiral staircase
  3. classical music
  4. the color red
  5. rain
  6. cold weather
  7. being nauseous
  8. kissing
  9. a pencil
  10. wet tears on your face
  11. warm socks
  12. perfume
  13. fire
  14. the grunt of a pig
  15. silk
  16. iron
  17. a bench
  18. spilling a liquid
  19. white wine
  20. hot soup
I'm not going to keep going, though she lists 30 things.  If you would really like more, let me know.

This exercise is basic, but important.  The use of description and the way it is used can often make or break a writer.  Fundamentally, we need to be able to understand where we are going, before we can lead our readers and the use of description in the right way can make the path easily seen for them to follow our breadcrumbs.  Give your readers depth, and your readers will go deeper into it. -Caroline Sharp

The great thing about this exercise is that you can spend about 30 minutes to an hour on it, or spread it out over a few days and really try to expand your description capabilities.  It is up to you how little or how much time you spend on it.  You are the writer, you make your own rules on these exercises.

If you are curious, look to me on Fridays, where I will post most of my exercises along with my novel writing updates.  And please, remember, if you have any questions on this or anything else, do not hesitate.

No comments:

Post a Comment