Saturday, July 17, 2010

Take A Vacation

Numerous major life changing decisions does not seem to equal a creative environment in which to write.  Because of that, it seems that when I do need to think about writing, which is now, I need to put myself in an environment that will promote creativity.  This idea of what environment works the best changes from day to day as well, but I find it helps my mind when I can answer that request.

However, I'm running into that age-old problem where I can't seem to make a decision on where that would be.  Well, what did you expect?  I have to make major life decisions, the last thing I need is another one.  Okay, so there is already a great place for me to write, but sometimes, it just doesn't seem to be enough. 

The pitfalls of writing seem to be more or less the fact that life does have a tendency to occur and that causes a distraction to getting your story down on paper.  How do you break free from the vicious cycle of not getting to the next step?  How do you promote creativity in a non-creative, stressful time? 

I have a place to write, but in this case, I feel that allowing yourself a "vacation" helps.  What I mean is go on a field trip to write.  Go somewhere new or somewhere not often visited that promotes that creative streak in you.  Get away from it all, and enjoy yourself.  Remember why you began writing in the first place.  You do this, and you will find it easier and more enjoyable to write.  It won't feel like a chore.

Of course, putting this into practice is sometimes difficult.  Normally when life comes at you, it leaves you little time for anything else, which is what I am facing, as I'm sure many of us do.  Now what?

I'm going to make the time.  I know a day in my week coming up that I am relatively free so I will take that time, go somewhere (like Borders or the library or even the park, whichever I feel like that day), write, and enjoy it.  I will enjoy my mini-vacation and I will come back with a smile on my face.  I will do this because I need to, and mostly because I want to remember why I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment