Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A New Thought, A New Idea

Who knew?  I haven't even started school yet and, of course, it is already demanding much of my time.  I have a wonderful biology test preparation class tomorrow, followed by a lot of studying.  Then I have the financial aid monster to tame, counseling to receive, transcripts to send, and classes to register for.  Obviously, not all of this can be handled in one day (though I attempted to try today), so onward I go into the future of my schooling adventures!

I will say that although my new major has little to do with writing itself, I find it actually a good thing in terms of my writing.  I am exposing myself to knowledge that may not be the easiest to find elsewhere.  Or, at least, I will get a hands-on view of new ideas that may not jump out at me from the words in a classic novel or poem.  One thing that English majors get to do a lot, is read, but one thing they don't get to do a whole lot: expose themselves to the world outside of books. 

Please do not think me to be against English majors.  I was one myself, not too long ago.  I love the major and still wish in many ways that I could be carrying on with it.  However, I am finding new ideas and new knowledge for my writing in places that I wouldn't normally think to find it. 

I've mentioned that I am writing a science fiction novel.  Well, I am embarking on a science-based degree and that fills me with knowledge that makes the science part of science fiction easier to research.  It also opens my eyes to things within the story that before I had never thought of.  Even more, I am already fueling more ideas for future projects into my writing agenda.  With a change in scenery, comes a flurry of new sights and sounds and ultimately, new concepts. 

I compare it closely to "stepping outside of one's box" because that is exactly what I am doing.  One thing that people fail to remember in this day and age is that you do not need a degree in the writing world in order to be an accomplished writer.  Certainly, there are many things we can learn from receiving those degrees yet how necessary are they in the publishing sense?  There is no prerequisite for getting published, other than having a manuscript that is marketable and well-written.

I am enlightened by these little discoveries that I am making day by day.  I am excited to see what more inspirations are around the corner and I cannot wait to meet them.  Now that I have realized the simplicity in what a change of thinking can do for myself, I am eager to look at other aspects of my life and constantly "change it up" to keep my creative mind on my toes.

Who says studying for a math test can't assist you in your writing endeavors?

No comments:

Post a Comment