Friday, March 9, 2012

From the Library of B.C. Lewis

There were so many books that stand out for me in childhood, and so many authors who stood out for their never-fail nature.  Whenever I desired a great book of a certain style or genre, they were there, standing true and rarely ever letting me down.

The first chapter book I read was from the Frog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel.  I enjoyed the first one I read so much, I read the entire series of Frog and Toad books he had published.  My sister and I often fought over who got to read which one first, so I'm sure I didn't read them in order.  When I went back and read them a few years ago, I was still happily enjoying each one and I cannot wait to share those books with my daughter.

In this vein, I decided to let you all into my somewhat organized library of my favorites, my loves, my likes, my dislikes, my guilty pleasures, my current reads, and my desire to read lists.  This includes authors, books, and book series.  I will try to make sure I don't overwhelm you with too much information, but I love my books and I'll admit that this list was extremely hard to narrow down and choose.

My Favorite Authors:
Lois Lowry
Ray Bradbury
Roald Dahl
J.K. Rowling
Italo Calvino
Joseph Campbell

My Favorite Books/ Book Series:
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Gossamer by Lois Lowry
Skellig by David Almond
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
Matilda by Roald Dahl
Beowulf
The Odyssey by Homer
Antigone by Sophocles
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
The Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Stepping on the Cracks by Mary Downing Hahn
the perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

My Guilty Pleasures:
Caroline B. Cooney Novels
The Goosebumps Series by R.L. Stine
Fear Street Novels by R.L. Stine
Betty Ren Wright Novels
The Berenstein Bears by Stan & Jan Berenstein
Curious George by (Margaret &) H.A. Rey
Threshold by Ben Mezrich
Newberry Award Winners
Any Series by Beverly Cleary

My Dislikes:
Emma by Bronte
Great Expectations by Dickens
The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan
Charlaine Harris
Inheritance Cycle by Paolini

Books I've Read So Far This Year:
Life of Pi by Martel
Plague by Michael Grant
Lies by Michael Grant
Ranger’s Apprentice: The Lost Stories
Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston

My Favorite Genres:
YA Fiction
YA sci-fi/fantasy Fiction
Greek Mythology and Folklore
Short Stories

My Current Books/ Series:
*Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (reading book 1 now)
*To The Lighthouse by Virginia Wolf (just about to start for Lit class)
Gone Series by Michael Grant (finished with all published materials)
The Enemy Series by Charlie Higson (finished with all published materials)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth Series by Carrie Ryan (finished with all published materials)
Ranger’s Apprentice Series by John Flanagan (finished with all published materials)
Tomorrow When the War Began Series (1 book left)
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (1 book left)
Stoneheart Trilogy (2 books left)


I Want to Read:
Searching for Alaska by John Greene
Empire of the Sun by J.G. Ballard
The Candy Shop War by Mull
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander
Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
World War Z by Max Brooks

So there you have it.  There are all my lists!  Please feel free to comment or ask questions about anything on my lists.  Yes, I'm admitting things that I normally don't.  I wouldn't normally admit to my family (and my sister, especially) that I do not like The Twilight Series all that much.  There are elements that I enjoy, and the fourth book was the best of the four.  However, I wasn't a fan of the climax of the entire series, nor was I a fan of her writing style.  This is why she is on that list.  And please, don't get me started on The Inheritance Cycle.  The first book was wonderful.  I stopped reading after the second book.  I just couldn't stand his blatant fan boy plot points and storylines.  It's Star Wars with dragons, and I drew the line at that discovery.

And while I know many people enjoy Charlaine Harris, particularly because they enjoy the HBO Series True Blood that is based on her book series.  I read three books and stopped when I pretty much discovered that it was Vampire Erotica.  Soft-core as it may be, I just couldn't get past that.  For me, there is so much more to literature, and I found that her use of that just got in the way of the real story of the series for me.  So I stopped reading them.

There are so many more books and authors that I could have put on all of these lists, but I wanted to make them somewhat manageable and I wanted to share where my brain finds joy in which words in which books.  

So, the great question is:  What is your favorite book and/or author?  Or even, what is your least favorite?  It's always great to share and discuss (and yes, even disagree if that's what comes of it).

3 comments:

  1. Yay books! :) You have good taste!

    Did you read the first book in John Flanagan's new series? I really liked it. I like that it is set in the same world as Ranger's Apprentice.

    If you have any interest in reading more classics, you should join in The Classics Club. It is being hosted by Jillian at A Room of One's Own (if you type that into google, her blog will pop up). It is a little "challenge" to read more classics. And you get to pick the number and the goal date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to add the Brotherband Chronicles to my list of Wants, but I forgot. I'm planning on reading that at the end of this semester, and I am very excited that it is set in the same world as RA series. I love that series too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interview with a Vampire is wonderful! You're mentioning it makes me want to.read it again, as it has been awhile!

    ReplyDelete