Saturday, March 31, 2012

Save the Drama. . .

And, of course, now that the fiction unit of Creative Writing is complete, we are moving onto drama, or composing short plays.  This unit has always intimidated me because I feel I am the most dreadful at dialogue.  However, I feel a lot more creativity flowing within me and I think I can accomplish some assignments that I'm happy with this time around.

The first assignment gave me what I thought was a great idea for a one-act play.  Unfortunately, when I started writing it, it seemed to remain stuck in a one-note merry-go-round that I can't get to let go.  It takes place in an elevator that is stuck, ironically enough.  Perhaps I need to just continue and make that part of the point.  I was trying to propose the idea of being unable to escape the inevitable conflict, but maybe it should be about being unable to escape the inevitable irreparable conflict. 

It could be interesting.

I think my biggest mistake lately though, is possibly pulling too much from life.  It becomes difficult when you take an actual conversation and put it onto physical paper that will eventually meet someone's eyes other than your own.  Of course, no one would realize it was a real conversation if I didn't make them aware of it, but the naked vulnerability I feel already in writing it may suggest that a new idea would probably be a better fit for the assignment.

This, though, illustrates how much my life affects my writing.  When stressful life events are accruing in the background, it seems to create all sorts of difficulties including writer's block or the repeating turntable playing everything over and over in your mind until it is all you can think about. 

In some ways this works because I know the emotions are easy to reach and so much can be accomplished.  But in some ways this takes away from the control of being able to write outside of those lines. 

Knowing this helps me to step back and then approach any project when I've made a clear decision as to where I'm headed, but it's something I believe every writer deals with. 

Indeed, Charlotte Perkins Gilman wrote "The Yellow Wallpaper" after she had a mental breakdown shortly after giving birth to her son.  This breakdown resulted in her leaving her husband and child and moving to Los Angeles, CA where shortly after she penned the story.  Though the story is an allegory representing feminism and freeing women from the stereotyped inferiority of the time, I can tell much of her personal story is evident within those pages.  This is probably why the images are so powerful and terrifying. 

In effect, I think using my reality to direct my writing is not necessarily a bad thing.  However, I need to work on directing when and where to apply such usefulness.


If you dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

1 comment:

  1. my creative writing teacher told us that he would occasionally go to a favorite diner of his and just sit, drink coffee, and eavesdrop on people's conversations. he said that he got many dialogue's that he's used in his stories this way. very interesting idea...although when i hear the best/silliest/strangest conversations, i'm usually without pen and paper...:/ i need to start carrying some with me at ALL times!

    ReplyDelete