Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Hunger Games

Why yes, I am a fan of the books.  And yes, I am seeing the movie tomorrow.  We bought our tickets about three weeks ago.  So tomorrow at 1:00pm EST, I am going to see the movie adaptation of the first book of the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. 

Making a movie from an author's book is always a flattering gesture.  However, so many are not well funded or cast.  Even more never make it past preproduction, and so many that are made are twisted into unrecognizable atrocities.  I enjoy so many books and I know that it's always exciting to see a story you love become a film, and it's so much more exciting when it turns out to be wonderful.

I'm definitely looking forward to the movie, though I do have my hesitations about the omissions that are bound to exist and the extra "Hollywood" moments that will more than likely rear a head or two, but I'm hopeful that they did this movie justice to its book counterpart.

I wanted to share my excitement, as well as share how much I respect the written word of authors who work so hard to weave their stories into unforgettable works that we get a chance to cherish and enjoy.  It's so much fun to be a part of such stories and books, and I'm sure it's especially nice for an author to see so many enjoying their work. 

I recall the day I read a particular short story of mine in a creative writing class while I attended California State University- Northridge (CSUN).  The joy of sharing my work was enlightening and even fun.  I couldn't stop smiling because I felt I was finally sharing something great to the world.  So many didn't want to give their copies of my story back and that in and of itself was flattering.  No, I'm not the greatest writer in the world, but there's no shame in enjoying how much people enjoy your work. 

I read a story in one of those Chicken Soup books (I believe it was for writers) where an author talked about the joy a small boy felt when he owned his first book.  He carried it with him everywhere and read it over and over.  She said that she wrote because of that small boy and she wanted to write something that would mean that much to someone else someday. 

How wonderful is it to share our gifts, our talents with the world?  How wonderful is it to see characters brought to life from books?  Characters that you love and cherish and enjoy.  It's a wonderful thing to me, and I'm so excited that I get to share in that tomorrow.  Then, when I get home afterward, I will write, read, and (hopefully) enjoy the fact that I was able to see some wonderful characters brought to life.

 One doesn't  write stories about people who are comfortable in their skins. ~Tobias Wolff

No comments:

Post a Comment