Thursday, December 29, 2011

What is a Write-A-Thon?

Okay, so as far as I know, it's something I only just recently invented.  Sure, it may exist elsewhere, but I have no knowledge of anyone else attempting what I am about to attempt, so I'm claiming it as my own mini-revolution.  There are several read-a-thons and novel, blog, journal, or poetry writing weeks, months, et cetera that tens to hundreds of thousands of people take part in every year.  I tend to get busy and either completely forget or simply relent and let it beat me.  So I'm creating my own mountain to scale.

I wanted desperately to follow the National Novel Writing Month this past year in November (or NaNoWriMo to you knowledgeable folks), but school, family, and my own demons kept me from even attempting it this year.  This is my retaliation now that I have a few days before everything starts back up again. 

I was going to await the New Year and ring it in strong.  However (and I do not know how this happened), my husband convinced me to ring out the old year instead.  It made sense when he explained that writing shouldn't start with a specific timeline other than the one we create.  And possibly, it will make me stronger and more eager to take on 2012 if I know that I've accomplished a few major feats in 2011.

So to celebrate the last of this year, I will have a few major accomplishments to look back on and remember fondly (even if at the time, I felt more crazy for doing them than after the fact): having my daughter, our first child in April 2011, going back to school in September 2011 and surviving with a 3.73 cumulative GPA with an infant, and now the Write-A-Thon.  Maybe there weren't several accomplishments, but each of these will significantly impact my future, and that makes me excited to see this old year out with a bang, and ring in the New Year with all the opportunities it could possibly contain!

So what is a Write-a-thon exactly?  I'm glad you asked.  A runner's marathon is 26.2 miles long, from start to finish.  So in respect to that, a writer's marathon is 26.2 hours long.  That's right: 26.2 hours straight (with bathroom breaks, of course) of writing and all the things that go into writing.  And for me, this begins at 8:00 pm tonight (Eastern Standard Time).

In doing this, I hope to jump start my creative mind, opening the doors, forcing the flood gates, and allowing my mind to re-establish its relationship with the writing world.  So come writer's block or no, I will write whatever it is I can in whatever way I can, until 10:12pm tomorrow night, December 30, 2011.  Then I will get some much needed sleep, wake up and go about my day, implementing new goals into my life that will sustain and enrich my writing as much as possible.

I will kick off my writer's marathon with a blog update here, I will update on my twitter and facebook page as often as I can (the goal is about once every 4 hours).  I will also post a midway point blog here at around 9:00 am tomorrow morning, and will complete my writer's marathon with a finishing blog at 10:12 pm tomorrow.  If you were lucky enough to know about this and care to follow me as I take on this mountain, I would be honored and I hope you would enjoy the opportunity to see how much I accomplish and how much I lose my sanity.

Feel free to comment or ask questions, should you have any.  As I said, this is a new project that I've recently created and I will try to fill you in and share as much as I can about what I accomplish in these 26.2 hours of creative flooding.

My next entry will outline more of my initial schedule and goals for this feat.  They may be loose as I've never done anything like this and I have no idea what to expect of myself.  But goals give me a direction, and heaven knows I need some if I'm going to write for 26.2 hours straight. 

For now, I'm going to get a few hours of sleep and I will return here at 8:00 pm.  Join me if you will!

Good luck to me.  Until then, adieu.

1 comment:

  1. yes, good luck to you!! i know you can do it - you will prevail, and whatever comes out of it will be of your own creation - success in concrete imaginative form! -melanie

    ReplyDelete