Friday, December 30, 2011

The Finish Line

As my Write-A-Thon comes to an end, I am astounded to realize that I am quite awake and chipper.  I'm sure that once the euphoria wears off after completing this mountain, I will fall exhausted in a heap on my bed and not move for a few eternities.

I cannot find my camera cord (yet another item I abandoned the search for to continue my writing) so I will have to blog in the next few days about the true details of my accomplishments from today's events.  So stay tuned for that.  Trust me I have lots of fun pictures for your enjoyment.  It will inspire you how uninteresting some of these pictures are, but they are fun to document and look back on for my own perseverance, if nothing else.  It gives me something to look forward to, and I will have to take notes when I wake up so that I make sure to recall as much as I can.

Now for the update of my goals for the last half of my marathon: 
1.  Don't give up.
2.  15,000 word total by Write-A-Thon end.
3.  Complete Chapter's 5-8 of E.
4.  Work on first free write once again.  

I did not give up!  Of this, I am extremely proud.  I did take a 3 hour nap just after the midway point of my marathon.  However, the realization struck me that in a writer's perspective, quality should always rule over quantity.  I'll admit that my writing started to taper off the "sensical" route and began to dither quite a bit.  It makes it hard to edit a draft of anything if the writer was three-quarters asleep when attempting to expound themselves.  It would have been too much of a headache for me, and I didn't want to create more work for myself down the line simply to stay awake for several more hours.  I went to sleep feeling confident that I would be able to keep my original goals and actually meet them sans an insanely guttural voice and sunken eye sockets.

My anticipation and assertions were on point.  I not only met my 15,000 word total in total word count of the day (combining my novel and free writes), I also surpassed 15,000 words within my novel, completed chapters 5 through 8 (which I feared I would not be able to do), and was able to work, though for only a short time, on another free write.

I can now end this Write-A-Thon with full knowledge that I can do anything if I've got enough nerve (Thank you for that, Mrs. Rowling) and if I've got enough insanity to think it up. 

Total word count of December 2011 Write-A-Thon: 15,310


1 comment: