Friday, December 30, 2011

Write-A-Thon Halfway Point

I am now approximately halfway through my current Write-A-Thon project.  During one of my breaks, I decided to look up the concept of Write-A-Thons on Google.com.  I was not too surprised to find other write-a-thons in existence, but I was quite pleased to see that none had undertaken a 26.2 hour stint of writing.  Some were only a few hours or days of intensive writing and creativity.  Some were accomplishing entire novels in 26 days!  I may need to try that one.  But none were exactly like mine.  I find it nice because I feel like I've infringed on no existing idea. 

Before I update on my previous goals and establish my new ones, I feel impressed to mention a few things I must remember for my next Write-A-Thon (and a tip for any reader interested in taking this on themselves):

1.  Start in the morning, or rather, when you first wake up after a full sleep.  You will have more effective creativity and writing flow for longer periods of time.
2.  Create more stream-lined official goals with more specific outcomes.  This allows for more efficient use of your time.  Creativity is never the most efficient engine, but it can be more so when you come to the table with a proper idea of what you want to receive out of your given time.
3.  Come to the table prepared.  I've spent too much time looking for things that have turned out to be missing (as in a 3 hole punch, my schematics, and location drawings of important places within my novel).  They were here a minute ago...  I still have not found them and it is slowing my writing down immensely because I have nothing but my own sleep deprived memory to pull from. 
4.  Have a more structured itinerary prepared including breaks to save yourself from burn-out and fatigue.  If you find yourself writing more than following, that's great.  But if you're stuck, a coming break can ease that wall a bit.

And now to update on my previous goals and how those are coming along:

1.  Write a solid hour from a writing prompt.
2.  Complete Chapter 3-8 of E. (Chapters 3 & 4 are complete.  Working on Chapter 5 at the moment.)
3.  Work on E.C.
4.  Do not fall asleep or give up! (So far, I've accomplished this)
5. 5000 words down.

My next goals are as follows:

1.  Don't give up.
2.  15,000 word total by Write-A-Thon end.
3.  Complete Chapter's 5-8 of E.
4.  Work on first free write once again. 

By 8:32 am, I had written a total of 7,720 words with only 7,280 remaining.  This is just over half of my goal.  With my wits only dulling more and my walls becoming ever present, I am already in a scramble to keep up. 

This is slow going, but I know now that a few hours writing in a day is nothing compared to this.  Yes, I do believe myself insane to be doing this.  However, I am enjoying this, no matter the difficulty.  Ask me again in a few hours, I may have changed my mind.  But up to this point, I have been rather a bit of fun.  It is exciting to see a story come to life in front of you.  And even more, your own.

And so comes and goes the halfway point to this insane marathon of writing.  I am off into my mind once again.  Wish me further luck and encouragement.  


1

No comments:

Post a Comment