Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bad Poetry and More Writing

Today in Creative Writing we talked about some of the poetry we read, watched a video with some poets who read their work.  It was from The Language of Life by Bill Moyers and the episode was called Swirl Like A Leaf (the video is found at this link).  The three poets highlighted in this piece were Marilyn Chin (my personal favorite of the three), Robert Bly, and Jimmy Santiago Baca (who is a close second).  They were all really wonderful and I am including two links above so you can get more information if you are interested.  If you enjoy poetry, particularly when it is read aloud, I do recommend watching this.  It inspires me to come home and write as much as is in me to say.

Afterward, we talked a little more and wrote a bit.  A bit means only about 10 minutes.  I am hoping that more and more throughout the semester we will be able to write in class.  I understand that the assignments need to be done at home, but I always felt it of utmost importance to write during class when you have that inspiration.  If you whet your inspiration's appetite, leaving it is a mortal sin to that very inspiration. 

We also went over a little more of what our first three poetry assignments are.  I am not crazy about the first assignment.  We have to write a poem that describes the rules to an imaginary game (it must be clearly unrealistic) or we have to write a list poem.  I, myself, am always writing lists so the second will do for me.  I'm just not sure I can write a poem of quality about an absurd game.  At least not now.

The second assignment, I already finished tonight.  It is a choice of four different ideas, my choice being to write a letter to a part of my body.  It still needs work, but I think it is a strong start with clear ideas of what I wanted to say and what I wanted to invoke.  I'm sure it could be better though, but at least it's out and existing somewhere other than my brain.

In other realms of writing, I am now making writing a daily part of my agenda.  I find that if I plan on taking a specific amount of time to write, it is easier to accomplish getting that time and taking advantage of it.  So I am writing anywhere from a half to a full hour everyday.  I will take more time when I can, but with my school work, I fear if I don't make the time and make myself accountable for my writing time, then it just will not get done.

I still have quite a bit of work to do, school wise, but I am finding it easier to finish now that I have set aside time to write.  All yesterday, while attempting to do homework on top of homework, I longed to write instead.  When I made the decision to write after I finished certain things, I found my focus easier and I was able to accomplish more in everything.  That was a very refreshing realization.  For me, believe it or not, just making sure I allot the time is all I need to get through the rest of the day.  I love it.

This is possibly a dissident question to inquire of everyone reading, but are you curious about any of my writing?  I've contemplated sharing some small bits (anything menial to my larger projects).  Would you be interested?  If you are, please comment and say so, and I may begin sharing some of what I write.  However, you must comment if you wish to have it published here.



Quote of the day:  Write without pay until somebody offers to pay. ~Mark Twain

1 comment:

  1. heck yes, i would love to read some of your stuff! i am a completely unbiased fan...

    ReplyDelete