Monday, January 9, 2012

I Found It!

Yes, I did indeed find all the maps and layouts I created for my book. I believe I mentioned that I had misplaced them and realized this when I was in the midst of my Write-A-Thon. Well, thank goodness, it was a relatively short-lived misplacement because the other day as I was going through some boxes looking for my husband's track suit, I found the box containing the rest of my writing essentials. So not only have I located my maps but also some information for this blog, my Writer's Bible, and some of my writing journals that have some insanely helpful information on several project ideas that I have.

Now I can breathe freely and finally write into my novel once more. I had hesitated after I realized my maps were missing. Do you know how frustrating it can be when you are trying to remember detailed information about locations and points of reference? I'm sure you do because I know we've all been through that at some point before. This is also why, ladies and gentlemen, we should not put off writing your novels and stories once you begin. The creativity that you start with can be forgotten or even altered when it is finally picked up again. This leads to several problems: flow of thought processes and story, character development, location and scene alterations, and several other important issues that come about from the test of time.

With my maps at my side, I can now see where I was and where I am going. I can even see some details and changes that need to be added or changed (though some will not appear until I revise my first draft). It is a major relief, especially now that school has started once again for me. It's one less thing to worry about.

In regards to school, my head already aches. I am taking Anatomy and Physiology I with lab, French II, Introduction to Literature: Short Story and Novel, and, of course, Creative Writing. If it weren't for the writing course and the literature course, my head would already be between my knees and I would be breathing into a paper bag. I had A&P and French today. As interesting and intriguing as both of those courses are to me, I believe the other two will save my soul and keep me sane.

I shall only truly see once I go to each class. Teachers do make a large impression on the course, if not the whole impression students can and will take from it. I'm confident that they are great professors (or at least, I'm praying for them to be). I guess we'll find out tomorrow and Wednesday for sure.

At the very least, I am excited to do some writing and get some new writing prompts. If you're a writer, I'm sure you all are aware of the difficulty in finding creative and fun prompts to kick-start your creativity. I've always had this problem. It's a major advantage being a student and taking a writing course because the teacher almost always gives you some to get your mind working on that level. So I won't lie in that if I find a prompt I like, I will definitely keep it for future use. I have to. I have no idea what I will do if I don't collect all these "free" prompts my professors have been dealing their students. How blessed are we in that area!

In fact, that is related to one of my goals for this year. If you read my New Year's Writing resolutions, one is to make a writing-related craft. Well, stay tuned for that because I am thinking of making a Writer's Prompt Jar. It should be a lot of fun, and for the writer in you, it will get a lot of use.

For now, I will have to leave you. There are websites to sign up for, forms to fill out, chapters to read, and homework to be started. The life of a student is never dull.




Quote of the Day: Wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you. ~E. Hemingway

No comments:

Post a Comment