Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Take on the Write-A-Thon

Another note to self: take notes on how I'm feeling from time to time so that when I write an entry for you all to experience my experience, I will know where to begin.  So without further ramblings, here are all the interesting and equally uninteresting pictures I took whilst writing away for 26.2 hours:

I started off with a writing prompt out of this magazine.  It was to start with a line from a favorite song and end with a line from a different favorite song.  I think it went very well, and I may even have a new idea from it.
These are binders that my hubby made for me to organize my writing by project.  Notice the cryptic titles.
My first sustenance of the Write-A-Thon.  Yummm!
That was my first accomplishment of the Write-A-Thon.  By the time I had taken my first break, I had 2,728 words!
This was where my second writer's prompt came from.  I randomly opened a page, read the first thing I found: write a short piece in which the narrator is an unreliable source.  This is a wonderful writing prompt book by the way.  It has some crazy but wonderful things in here.  Can't wait to do more!
Lunch or Dinner in the midst of the Write-A-Thon.  I don't recall which, only that it was very tasty.  Thank you, hubby!

I can't not see my little girl for 26.2 hours.  This was me taking a much-needed break and having fun with my little one while Daddy held her to keep me from getting too distracted.  Notice the blurriness.  That could have been from her moving, me not being used to the camera, or being about 16-20 hours in.  I'm not sure which.

Yet another sustenance break.  This pico de gallo and tortilla chips (not shown) were two snacks.  If you know me at all, you know I can't live without this stuff.

My box of writing from the last several years.  I thought I might need it for inspiration, but I didn't.  Woohoo!

My novel on the wall.  We moved it from upstairs (the writing room became the baby's room).  The pink is all I accomplished during the Write-A-Thon.  Trust me, that is 8 chapter's worth.

I apologize for the fuzziness.  I couldn't get my camera to focus on my laptop screen very well.  Next time, I'll just take a screen shot.  Final word count for my novel post Write-A-Thon: 15, 717.  Total Pages: 27 (that's MSWord pages).

My writing via USB memory stick.  Oh, yes, I am in penguin mode.

 There were a few times when I really felt I wouldn't make it, and many more times I felt I was insane for doing any of this.  Surprisingly enough, most of that occurred in the beginning of the Write-A-Thon and once I got used to the idea that, like it or not, I was committed to it, suddenly it became easier.  Even more, it was quite fun.  That is why (if you look at the previous entry), I have commissioned myself to do another at the end of February or the beginning of March, during my winter break from school.

The only thing I was unsure of was whether sleep should be involved or not.  Well, as you all read (if you read the previous entries), I did sleep for about 3.5 hours mid-way through.  I thought I would be upset with myself, but I'm actually rather impressed that I did sleep and still managed to meet my goals of writing through chapter 8 and hitting 15,000 words.  Re-iterating a former statement as well, I stand by that decision because as much as it is about getting things done and writing in general, writing should be fun and should also be quality over quantity.  Quantity is great, but it's useless without quality.

Please ask questions or comment if you'd like to know more.  Sleep deprivation and lack of noting on my feelings didn't help in the memory category while blogging all of this.  I'm still hazy about a few things, but I am still quite thrilled I was able to accomplish all of this.  Now to visit the library, read as many books as I can before I start school, and write as much as I can. 


No comments:

Post a Comment