Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Creative Writing 2800

So class was definitely a highlight of my day.  The campus was nice (it's a completely different one than I normally go to), but I'm not sure any of the builders of the campus thought about the campus actually existing in Michigan winters.  The walk from my car was at least a quarter of a mile (about 1/2 km for metric users) and I think I might be a bit conservative with that number.  And no, I was not at the back of the parking lot.  I actually had quite a good space.  Any better and I would have been ticketed for being in a handicapped space. 

The class itself was a lot of fun even though we did a lot of meet and greets.  I am shy; incredibly shy.  Anyone who knows me well, knows this.  I despise using the phone.  I don't like having to approach people I don't know, even to ask where the bathroom is.  I do not like putting myself out there, I have a hard time making and keeping conversation though not for lack of trying.  Maybe my questions are strange?  I'm not sure.  I mean, I try to actively start conversations when I'm put in those situations, so perhaps they see I'm trying too hard or maybe I just don't seem like much of an approachable person.  My husband said he could tell from afar that I was extremely shy just by looking at me.  So I know it's something I exude. 

Anyhow,  back to class: despite all this, our teacher had us go around the room and introduce ourselves, wear nametags, and all that jazz.  Then he had us get up and meet people, switching every few minutes to talk to someone new about something different.  This made a difference, and I know that I will be much more willing to share my work to the class.  I also already have people in there that I am acquainted with and I'm not so unwilling to talk any longer.  And hey, we were all a bit uncomfortable and put out there together so the situation was similar for everyone (especially when we had some out there questions to ask each other). 

The class is three hours long and it's amazing how much can actually be done in three hours.  We did all this introductory stuff, including a 10-minute "ask-me-anything" to the teacher.  Then we talked about poetry.  We broke up into groups and read eight poems, picking the best one over another.  He's a sneaky, but fun teacher because it turns out four of them were taken from a book called The Anthology of the World's Worst Poetry or something along those lines.  We chose 3 of the 4 that did not come out of that book, and we only chose the last because the other choice was about hitting a deer and just didn't seem very much more striking than the other. 

Overall, I think the class will be a bit challenging, but inspiring.  We're covering poetry, short fiction, and one-act plays.  It's been at least three years since I've written any poetry or plays, so I know that will more than challenge my mind. 

I already have the information for my first three assignments, and I can't wait to get started.  If only I didn't have those three other classes.  Who needs those anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment