Thursday, January 25, 2018

Amidst Mermaids and Mickeys

I was just about to begin this post and a certain little boy ran up and closed my laptop and then skipped away laughing. Little Stinker! He is great at making sure we are paying attention.

You know it's interesting since I've started this new trek through my endeavorings to write more.  I suddenly find certain parts of my day extremely colorless at times and then vibrantly so in others.  I'm not sure why that is.  Perhaps it's just my desire to be writing instead of whatever it is I'm doing at that particular moment, but I'm not sure that is totally it.

I'm just not sure how long I can push myself in so many ways.  I know I'm not forcing anything, and I know I am working diligently in many things, but I think perhaps my spirit just needs a few moments to gather itself, recenter, and then continue on.

I definitely needed that today. I was doing fine, in the middle of my workday, accomplishing so much in such a short amount of time.  Then suddenly, it was like my work ethic just seized up and for a few moments, I was unable to concentrate, focus, or accomplish anything.  Everything just felt so flat.

So I took a break, some deep breaths, walked around a bit, took care of some needs, and then sat back down and worked on the simplest thing I could, stepping from one simple stone to a slightly more  involved one and on up the ladder until I was back to it and even forgot the time by the end of the day.

I'm sure more of us get that way than I think.  However, I wish I understood the inner struggle that I have in a way that explained the why.  Perhaps we all think that way, but I'd sure like to know why.  I think I might just be wired differently than everyone else. And I'm okay with that.  But why might help a bit.
Turkey Disguised as a Kitty with a yarn obsession. by MM

I know a lot of this didn't seem much like it was about writing.  But I do know that most great writers had full time jobs to support their writing.  Did you know Franz Kafka was an insurance clerk? And Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was an ophthalmologist with his own practice. And so fitting in your writing amidst all this real life full-time job stuff is nothing new.  But I can see why so many struggled at times with it all.

Here I am amidst invoices and project files by day, amidst mermaids and mickeys at night, and somewhere in between I'm amidst my own words on paper.  But only for like an hour to an hour and a half.  And then it's back to the others once more.

It's life and I love it all, but to have it all means you have to work at it all.  And sometimes you need to make choices, delicate tightrope choices to bring about balance and meaning within your days and your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment